Friday, September 25, 2009

A Dare to Remember

Well, today marks the beginning of my month long dare.

I was listening to CBC radio and heard an interview with Stephen Lewis about the Dare to Remember campaign that was developed to raise funds for his foundation.

I'm a big fan of Stephen Lewis and as soon as I got home I checked out the website (www.adaretoremember.org) and created my own dare.

I dared myself to give up television for one month and, during that period, read at least 10 books. My dare begins today, September 25th, and ends on the last day of the Dare to Remember campaign, October 25th.

My friends, family and colleagues have shown incredible support - I'm well on my way to reaching my $1,000 goal.

The money raised goes directly to those who need it. The Stephen Lewis Foundation, which started just six years ago, "worked to create a new way of funding that is sensitive, responsive and flexible - one that avoids bureaucratic red-tape and ensures that the money goes where it's most needed." My kind of fundraising.

So, to everyone who has supported my dare so far - THANK YOU.

To those who haven't yet visited my page please check it out at http://stephenlewisfoundation.akaraisin.com/p/DeniseShoesmith.aspx

and to those who elect to support different fundraising organizations, keep up the good work.

In the words of the Dare to Remember campaign "Together, ordinary people CAN do extraordinary things."

No comments:

Post a Comment